Sunday, March 16, 2014

Hello World! & Apple Chips!

I'm Joe, a friend of Mosno's, and while I'm not pledging to be completely vegan for six weeks (like Mosno), I am going to try to be as vegan as possible. I've been a vegetarian for about 4 years and I'm close to vegan now, but I'll be looking for ways to cut out the cheese, eggs, butter, etc. that I do use.

I think the hardest part for me is going to be challenging my assumptions. (Is pasta vegan? Of course... Unless it's made with eggs! Doh!) These gotchas are going to be tough. I had a bagel this morning without even thinking about it, but I was relieved to find out that most bagels are vegan (link below :)

I got this recipe for these apple chips from our first workshop/meeting/tasting/course. They were so great they are almost gone already!
1. Slice an apple. Thin for crispy, thick for chewy. 
2. Bake: 1 hour at 200 degrees. 
3. Flip!
4. Bake: another hour at 200 degrees. 
5. Turn off oven, but leave the slices in for half an hour more to finish crisping up. 

These were very good as-is but I may try sprinkling a pinch of salt for a little flavor kick. 

See ya, check back for more veg-adventures! And send your support to Mos on his hero's journey the next six weeks!

~joetime

Are bagels vegan? http://www.isitvegan.com/2012/04/12/are-bagels-vegan/

No comments:

Post a Comment